We all know that Microsoft hasn’t officially announced the next generation Xbox yet, however it looks like some rumors about the device have already started surfacing. The tentatively named Xbox 720 might feature DVR capabilities according to a patent that was recently discovered. Here’s what the patent was registered for:
“a digital video recorder (DVR) application running alongside a television client component [that] allows users to record media content on the gaming console.
The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu. Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games. Alternatively, users can record content when the gaming console is turned off.
The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on. When in the recording state, users can also switch between various other media modes, whether gaming, television, and so on.”
The patent was reportedly applied for back in 2007, but only granted on December 27th last year. Seeing how Microsoft has been increasingly involved in creating a complete living room experience with the latest updates to the Xbox 360, it wouldn’t be too farfetched to think that the next Xbox will have DVR capabilities.
However, since nothing is official at this point in time (and registered patents don’t always end up being used), we won’t hold our breath. What do you think of a DVR-capable Xbox 720? Would it be a good move by Microsoft?
- 2014-04-08: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08: HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-03-31: Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20: Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live
- 2013-05-21: Xbox 720 Expected To Begin Mass Production In Q3 For Q4 Launch
- 2013-05-20: Xbox 720: Everything To Look For
- 2013-05-20: Sony Teases PS4 Hardware Prior To Next Xbox Event
- 2013-05-20: Next Xbox Event Expected To Feature IllumiRoom [Rumor]
- 2013-05-15: Microsoft Points Getting The Axe In Time For Next-Generation Xbox Release [Rumor]