A Retina Display for the next iPad is a long-standing rumor that’s been on everybody’s wishlist since the iPhone 4 was released and it looks like it’s going to happen with the iPad 3. The folks over at MacRumors managed to get their hands on a high-resolution display which was said to be for the iPad 3, and they did some investigation of their own. The display is 9.7″ wide diagonally – the same size as the previous generation displays but under a microscope, things are a little different.
When the displays were placed under a microscope, the iPad 3′s display features pixels that seem to be one-quarter the size of those on the iPad 2. Since they had no method to power the display, this was the only test they could do, and with those findings, they extrapolated the resolution of the iPad 3 – which happens to be twice the resolution (and four times the pixels) of the iPad/iPad 2 in each direction: 2048 x 1536. Sure, it’s not the same 326 PPI of the iPhone 4, but we’re pretty sure it’s dense enough to be considered “Retina Display” since tablets tend to be viewed further away compared to phones.
The iPad 3 is rumored to be launched on March 7th, so it’s only a few more weeks of waiting. Stay tuned and we’ll keep you posted.
Next Story: Google counts down to MWC 2012
- 2014-04-16: Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft Arrives On The iPad
- 2014-04-13: Teen Records Himself Getting Bullied On iPad, Gets Charged With Wiretapping Instead
- 2014-04-09: Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-04-09: Apple's Roadmap For 2014, According To An Analyst
- 2014-04-09: Samsung's New Tablet Commercials Targets The iPad
- 2012-03-07: The new iPad officially launched
- 2012-03-06: Apple iPad 3 to be released on March 16th?
- 2012-03-02: Apple prepares Yerba Buena for the iPad 3 launch
- 2012-02-28: iPad 3 to be announced March 7th
- 2012-02-21: iPad 3 to be launched in Germany March 23rd?