If you’re in the market for external storage with Thunderbolt connectivity for your Mac computer, you’re in luck as LaCie’s 2big Thunderbolt series of hard drives are now shipping. You will be able to pick them up at $649 for the 4TB (2x2TB) model and $799 for the 6TB (3x2TB) model, with the Thunderbolt cable sold separately (available from Apple).
The 2big hard drives debuted at CES earlier this year, but for those who might have missed it or who might have forgotten, LaCie’s 2big Thunderbolt series of hard drives feature a dual-drive enclosure that are available in either 4TB or 6TB capacities. They can be formatted in ether RAID 0 or 1, or they can simply be used as two separate drives housed in a single enclosure.
The unit features two Thunderbolt ports (for daisy-chaining) and will sport dual cooling methods, one of which will be achieved through its heat-dispersing aluminum shell, and the other will be through the use of a fan. According to LaCie, the 2big will offer speeds of up to 327MB per second, which is more than three times faster than Firewire 800, and can be daisy-chained for even higher performance. If 6TB isn’t enough for you, LaCie has announced that an 8TB model will be available soon.
- 2014-03-28: WD's My Passport Pro Is A Portable Thunderbolt Hard Drive
- 2014-01-05: LaCie Sphere Is A Stylish Looking Hard Drive
- 2014-01-05: LaCie Unveils New Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive
- 2013-11-25: 4K Thunderbolt Displays Reportedly In The Works
- 2013-06-04: Intel Thunderbolt 2 To Succeed The Thunderbolt
- 2013-04-30: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock Now Available For $299
- 2013-04-08: Apple To Reveal New Mac Pro Revamp This Month
- 2011-09-21: LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series now available
- 2011-07-19: LaCie Thunderbolt mix up
- 2011-07-17: LaCie delays Little Big Disk to later this year sans explanation