If you’re in the market for a rugged compact camera, Pentax has taken the wraps off the Optio WG-2 and WG-2 GPS rugged digital cameras that add to the list of rugged compact cameras available in today’s market. These cameras are the successors to the Pentax Optio WG-1 and WG-1 GPS which saw a release around the same time last year.
In terms of ruggedness, Pentax has boasted that the WG-2 is waterproof up to 40 feet in depth, shockproof from drops up to 5 feet, and even crushproof with the ability to withstand up to 220 LBF, coldproof with temperatures up to -10C, and dustproof. Pentax has also introduced a tough mineral crystal cover to help protect internal lens elements.
As far as its camera specs is concerned, the WG-2 and WG-2 GPS both sport similar features, with the exception of the WG-2 GPS that comes with GPS functionality for geotagging photographs. What this means is that we can expect a 16MP CMOS backlit sensor, 5x optical zoom, a 28mm wide angle lens, a 3” LCD display and the ability to capture 1080p Full HD video at 30fps.
It will also come with a variety of other goodies, such as the 6 macro LEDs around the lens that can be used to focus on subjects as close as 1cm, Pixel Track, Digital and Movie Shake Reduction, Face Detection, Smile Capture, Blink Capture, Extended Dynamic Range and Handheld Night Snap mode. The Pentax Optio WG-2 and WG-2 GPS are expected to ship in March and will be priced at $349.95 and $399.95 respectively. [Press release]
Next Story: Wrap-around BB concept phone is a novel idea
- 2014-04-14: Lechal Smart Shoes Update
- 2014-04-08: Toyota Sports Drive Logger Replays Circuit Runs At Home
- 2014-04-02: TomTom Runner Cardio GPS Sport Watch Announced
- 2014-03-27: Magellan SmartGPS 5390 Announced
- 2014-03-06: HereO Watch Helps Parents Keep Tabs On Their Kids
- 2012-03-12: Pentax Marc Newson K-01, WG-2 and WG-2 GPS now shipping
- 2011-06-27: PENTAX Optio WG-1 GPS now available in orange
- 2011-06-02: Pentax O-GPS1 helps you remember where you took those photos
- 2011-02-07: Pentax rugged Optio WG-1 and WG-1 GPS compact cameras