According to the good folks at 9to5 Mac, we have learnt some new details of Apple’s upcoming iPhone and iPod touch for 2012. Starting with the iPhone, supposedly Apple has begun seeding prototypes of the next-generation device internally. While the iPhone 4S featured a design similar to that of the iPhone 4, the next-gen iPhone has reportedly been specified not to include the iPhone 4/4S’ designs, and has instead been housed in older casings to throw off possible leaks.
Interestingly, it was also revealed that the next-generation iPhone could feature a variation of the A5X chip which was first unveiled in Apple’s third-gen iPad. As the A5X chip was used to power the new iPad’s Retina display, it does not really make sense why the next-gen iPhone would be packing it. However some have taken this to mean that the next-gen iPhone could pack 1GB of RAM (much like the new iPad) which many had originally hoped would make its way into the iPhone 4S (which only features 512MB of RAM). However it should be noted that since this is an internal prototype, there’s no way of knowing if the testing of a variant of the A5X chip could make its way into the final product, or if it will be confined to being a mere prototype at the end of the day.
Next up would be the iPod touch which according to an internal iOS 5.1 build, has been labeled as “iPod 5,1” suggesting that we could be seeing a major hardware overhaul for 2012’s version. Dual-core anyone? For those who weren’t aware, the iPod touch was the only iOS device not to receive a hardware refresh back in 2011 save for the release of a white version of the device.
In any case, while all of this sounds plausible, until the official announcement and unveiling of both devices has been made, we will be taking this with a grain of salt for now and suggest that you do the same, but what do you guys make of it so far?
- 2013-10-01: Gold iPhone 5 Stickers Apparently A Hot Ticket Item In China
- 2013-06-27: Skype Updates iPhone App To Support Video Messaging Feature
- 2013-06-17: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Releasing On iOS June 20
- 2013-06-14: Microsoft Office Available On iPhone; Requires Office 365 Subscription
- 2013-05-30: Apple Files $53 Million Settlement Concerning Wet iPhones And iPod Touch Models
- 2013-05-30: 100 Million iPod Touch Units Sold And Counting
- 2013-03-12: The ampjacket Amplifies Your iPhone, iPad Mini And iPod Touch's Sound Naturally
- 2013-01-28: Budget iPhone Could Be A Frankenstein Phone Borrowing From iPhone 5, iPod Touch [Rumor]
- 2012-12-05: Philips Announces New Lightning-compatible Speaker Docks In Time For Holidays
- 2011-09-20: White iPod touch to be launched in October?