The second generation Aakash tablet, known as the Aakash 2 for obvious reasons, is slated for a release in the coming few weeks in India, but there is one caveat with this super cheap tablet (with a subsidized sticker price tag of approximately $35) – it will come only with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which is very much passe considering how many of the other Android devices these days are making their way towards the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version. Well, good news, as UK-based Datawind intends to roll out the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Aakash 2 within a couple of months after the Aakash 2 is released.
Just what does Datawind have to do with the Aakash 2? Well, for starters, it is the same company that produces said tablets for the Indian government, so it is no wonder that they intend to follow up on this 800MHz tablet with the most recent operating system update.
Next Story: Tumblr for Android updated
- 2013-04-29: Android Design Head Praises Facebook Home's Attention To Design
- 2013-04-28: Google Glass CPU And RAM Specifications Revealed
- 2013-02-07: HTC Thunderbolt Ice Cream Sandwich Performance Issues
- 2013-02-05: HTC Thunderbolt Gets Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Update
- 2013-01-31: Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Update