Owners of the new iPad with iOS 5.1 will be pleased to learn that according to famed iOS hacker, pod2g, a jailbreak for iOS 5.1 is on its way. No word on when the jailbreak will be released, but just don’t expect it to surface in the next few days. According to the hacker’s tweet, it seems that he and his group of hackers have managed to weed out all the exploits that are needed in order for them to come up with a jailbreak solution, and that right now he is attempting to bypass the ASLR at the bootup.
While this by no means indicates that a jailbreak will be ready for download soon, it certainly indicates that pod2g and his team are on the right track. Given his success with the iPhone 4S jailbreak, we guess it wouldn’t be a complete surprise if he managed to jailbreak iOS 5.1 along with Apple’s third-gen iPad as well. In any case we’ll most definitely be keeping our eyes peeled, so check back with us at a later date for updates.
Next Story: Raspberry Pi Finally Ships
- 2014-03-26: Video Shows Jailbroken iPad Triple Booting iOS 5, iOS 6, and iOS 7
- 2014-03-23: iOS 7.1 Untethered Jailbreak Shown Off On Video
- 2014-03-17: Asphaleia Jailbreak Tweak Lets You Use Touch ID To Protect Your Apps
- 2014-03-10: Untethered iOS 7.1 Jailbreak Not Possible
- 2014-02-05: iOS 7.1 Beta 5 Closes More Jailbreak Exploits
- 2012-05-11: Pod2g demonstrates untethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak on the new iPad
- 2012-05-02: Two major vulnerabilities discovered in iOS 5.1, jailbreak could be close at hand