If you own any of Sonos’ music systems and have bought the dedicated remote control, the Sonos Control, well come 31st May the company has announced that they will be discontinuing the product. This won’t affect current users who have the Sonos Control, but for those looking for a way of controlling their Sonos music systems will have to turn to their smartphones, tablets or laptops. However given the fact that the Sonos Control will easily set you back €349, the free app for someone already using an iOS device would make more financial sense.
According to the company who spoke to Pocket-lint, “The discontinuation of the Sonos Control is a next step for the company in its transition away from reliance on hardware remotes, to offering consumers the opportunity to control the system with apps on the most popular platforms.” The app is currently available for iOS devices, Android, PC and Mac, but for those who feel that they’d rather have the physical remote control, you guys have until the 31st of May to get your hands on the device before it has been discontinued.
- 2014-04-17: Future Sonos Software Update Could See Full Wireless Speaker System Capability
- 2014-04-10: Google Play Music Integrated Into Sonos
- 2014-03-18: New Sonos Controller App Aims To Make Music Discovery Simpler
- 2013-12-16: What Do We Associate The Sonos Play:1 With? [Promoted]
- 2013-10-29: Noise-Canceling Windows Could One Day Become A Reality