Blizzard had announced that Diablo 3 would be seeing a 15th of May release, and we’re sure that many are probably wondering when Runic Games’ Diablo-like game, Torchlight 2, will see the light of day? After all, despite the Torchlight franchise being an extremely fun game in its own right, the Diablo name is one that’s much larger and has the possibility to overshadow any announcements that Runic Games might make regarding to the release of their game, which is why Runic Games’ CEO, Max Scaefer, revealed to Joystiq that they are not looking to compete for the spotlight by announcing Torchlight 2’s availability just yet.
However he did mention that an ideal launch date for the game will be shortly after Diablo 3 has been launched, which is optimistically a month later. He also revealed that Torchlight 2 will feature an offline mode, modding, LAN support and will feature a game pace that would help set it apart from the competition.
“Be patient. Our total development time on this game is going to be about two years, which is not unreasonably long for this type of game. We’re going as fast as we can. It’ll be worth the wait, it’ll totally be worth the wait. In the long run, people will be happy we took this extra time.”
- 2013-01-02: Torchlight 2: More Than 1 Million Copies Sold
- 2012-10-24: Max Schaefer interested in adding building tools to Torchlight 2
- 2012-09-27: Torchlight 2 for Mac still a couple of months away
- 2012-09-04: Torchlight 2 to be released on the 20th of September
- 2012-08-13: Torchlight 2 developers sign off on Act 2, still has some way to go
- 2012-07-23: Torchlight 2 expected to be four times bigger than its predecessor
- 2012-07-20: Torchlight 2 is still on track for a summer release
- 2012-04-24: Torchlight 2 "New Heroes Will Arise" cinematic released