A couple of days ago, we reported the start of court-appointed mediation between the CEOs of Samsung and Apple with regards to patent infringement issues on both sides along with other things. While Samsung exec JK Shin was considering cross-licensing options ahead of the talks, a report from the Korea Times (via 9to5mac) revealed that a Samsung official confirmed that no agreement was reached during the talks that lasted two days.
The report said, “Samsung CEO Choi Gee-Sung and Shin Jong-Kyun, head of the firm’s mobile division, left Seoul Sunday for the United States to meet Apple CEO Tim Cook by order of the Northern District Court of California, in an attempt to settle the patent fight without going into costly legal proceedings. The two technology giants could find no clear agreement through the talks, according to a Samsung official. Apple Korea declined to comment on the matter.”
The report continues to state that during the meeting, both Apple and Samsung held firmly to their “assertions” with Samsung continuing to demand that Apple pay for royalties for using its wireless transmission technology while Apple on the other hand also insisted that Samsung copied its design in various products. Reportedly, the ongoing patent battle and trial in California is scheduled to continue on June 27. Of course, since this information has not come from anywhere official, we’ll have to take it with a pinch of salt. With that said however, it wouldn’t be surprising that the talks ended up nowhere although we were hoping for some peace on that front.
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Verizon Galaxy S5 Sale On Amazon Kicks Off
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Reportedly Expects To Ship 35M Galaxy S5 Units This Quarter
- 2014-03-13: ZiiLabs Tales Samsung And Apple To Court Over Patent Infringement
- 2013-06-04: Older iPhone And iPad Sales Banned Due To Samsung Patent Infringement
- 2013-02-04: Samsung And LG Settles Patent Dispute Through Peace Talk, Not War
- 2012-12-25: Samsung Slaps Ericsson With Its Own Request For U.S. Sales & Import Ban
- 2012-11-25: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 targeted by Apple lawsuit