Earlier this month, we reported that AT&T’s version of the HTC One X will not be unlockable via HTC’s bootloader unlocking program – at least officially. And boy, Tyler was right when he said that the Android community will find a way around it soon. Apparently an XDA member who goes by the name grankin01 was able to “unofficially” unlock the device by tricking it into thinking that it is the One XL from Rogers Canada. So, if you’re willing to give it a try, keep in mind that doing so will erase everything on your device. So please back up accordingly and don’t say we didn’t warn you okay? Full instructions on how to unlock AT&T’s HTC One X will follow after the break. To understand more about rooting for Android, you can check out our nifty guide.
You need ADB and an understanding of how to use it and have a rooted device (although I didn’t test this). You will also need a hex editor like HxD.
BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE DOING THIS!!!! WHEN HTCDEV UNLOCKS YOUR DEVICE YOU MUST START FROM SCRATCH!!!
1. Fire up your command prompt and go to the directory that you have ADB installed to. Type “adb shell” and hit enter.
2. Type “su” and hit enter. You now have root privileges.
3. Next type “dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4″ and hit enter. This will dump the partition to your sdcard.
4. Next type “exit”, hit enter, type “exit”, and hit enter again. This should take you back to a command prompt for your computer.
5. type “adb pull /sdcard/mmcblk0p4″ and hit enter.
6. Open the file (mmcblk0p4) with your hex editor.
7. Look for offset 00000210 and you should see CWS__001 with your IMEI number attached to it.
8. Change CWS__001 to ROGER001 and save the file as mmcblk0p4MOD.
9. Now go back to your command prompt and type “adb push mmcblk0p4MOD /sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD” and hit enter.
10. Type “adb shell” and hit enter then type “su” and hit enter again. This will put you back into the android shell and give you root privileges.
11. Type “dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4″ and hit enter. To test if it worked restart the phone into fastboot (type “adb reboot bootloader” and hit enter) and once the bootloader screen comes up type “fastboot oem readcid” and hit enter. It should read “ROGER001″.
12. Next type “fastboot oem get_identifier_token” and hit enter. Leave that up on your screen and go to HTCdev.com. Follow the instructions from there.
Next Story: Asus Transformer Pad TF300TL arrives at the FCC
- 2014-04-23 AT&T Teases ASUS PadFone X In New Video
- 2014-04-22 AT&T Commits Millions For New Online Video Ventures
- 2014-04-21 AT&T Gigapower Looks At Expansion Into 21 New Cities
- 2014-04-17 AT&T LG G Flex Android 4.4 Update Brings Knock Code As Well
- 2014-04-16 AT&T’s LG G Flex Tipped For Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Tomorrow
- 2013-03-07 AT&T HTC One X Gets Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update
- 2012-08-03 AT&T's HTC One X receives Android 4.0.4 update
- 2012-06-05 AT&T offers HTC One X online from today onwards
- 2012-05-09 HTC One X for AT&T has been rooted
- 2012-05-07 AT&T's One X has its bootloader restricted, cannot be unlocked officially