It was just yesterday that Facebook announced its new Organ Donor feature, and for those who might have missed the news, this basically allows a Facebook user to add Organ Donor status onto their timeline. The goal was to create a sense of awareness about the plight of those around the world who are currently waiting in line for organs to be donated to them in order to save their lives. In any case thanks to Facebook’s popularity and its reach, it has been reported that the Donate Life California registry has seen a whopping 800% increase in organ donor registrations ever since the feature went live yesterday.
As of 12:30pm today, the Donate Life California registry has increased its online donor sign ups by nearly 800% from yesterday thanks to this mornings announcement of the partnership with Facebook! Thank you Facebook!
The power of social media indeed! In any case it should be noted that the Organ Donor feature is limited to the US and UK for now, but it has been reported that the feature will be expanded to other countries in the near future.
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App