A few days ago, we wrote about the possibility for Amazon to release color e-book Kindles this year. Today, Reuters is backing up the rumor by saying that Amazon will indeed launch new versions of its Kindle e-reader and Kindle Fire tablet, including a monochrome e-reader with front lighting. According to Reuters, a source of theirs who claims to have direct knowledge of the matter told them that the world’s largest Internet retailer is planning to have the new e-reader in stores in July. The source, who asked not to be named because Amazon has not yet made the decision public, also told Reuters that Amazon has been ramping up production of the new Kindle which will run on E Ink’s display.
“Amazon’s Kindle e-reader has been popular, but readers have had to buy an external light to attach to the device to read in the dark. The front light eliminates that problem,” Reuters said. Even better is the news that a new Kindle Fire tablet is also in the works and will be coming soon later this year. The same source, who claims to have seen the prototype, said that the new Kindle Fire will have a bigger diagonal display of 8.9 inches. When Reuters asked E Ink Holdings for confirmation, the company declined to make any comments. “We don’t comment on our customers’ launch plans,” said Sri Peruvemba, Chief Marketing Officer for E Ink Holdings.
Next Story: Data Killer erases data on the spot
- 2014-04-17: Samsung's Galaxy Phones To Get Custom Amazon Kindle Book Store
- 2014-04-16: Amazon Cloud Drive Users Can Now See Documents Stored On A Kindle
- 2013-12-09: Epson Connect Printers Synchronize Wirelessly With Kindle Tablets
- 2013-11-04: Amazon Kindles Receive Discount To Celebrate FAA's New Rules
- 2013-10-29: Amazon Kindle Matchook Service Now Live; Supports 70,000 Books
- 2011-10-07: Amazon opens French Kindle Store
- 2011-10-06: Disable ads on your Kindle e-reader for $30
- 2011-09-28: Amazon unveils the Kindle Touch
- 2010-09-22: Amazon Kindle 3 Gets Hacked & Jailbroken
- 2010-11-30: iPad Catching Up to Kindle in E-Reader Market in Latest Survey