In what will probably bring a large amount of happiness to supporters and fans of indie games, Minecraft has achieved something that hasn’t been seen in quite awhile now; knocking a Call of Duty game out of the top two positions on the Xbox 360’s most-played chart. Just for some deeper clarity, the only game that had the popularity to knock Call of Duty: Black Ops from the number one spot after its release in 2010 was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 which came out in 2011.
Apparently, ever since that happened, both the games have been running at numbers 2 and 1 respectively. Of course, now that has changed. Minecraft the popular indie game has clawed its way past Black Ops and taken the number 2 position in the most-played chart for Xbox 360. The figures originate from Major Nelson’s Xbox Live Activity (via Kotaku) which counts numbers of unique users that play a game while their consoles are connected to the Xbox Live network so it would be ideal to know that it’s not just multiplayer figures here.
The last time a game other than Call of Duty was in the top-two was apparently in 2010 after Halo: Reach was released before which Halo 3 was second to Modern Warfare 2. In any case, for an indie gaming title like Minecraft to go up against a high-budget first-person shooter title like Call of Duty and come out on top (well, second top), it is still pretty awesome.
- 2014-04-07: The Simpsons Couch Gag Gets A Minecraft Theme
- 2014-04-04: Minecraft For Xbox 360 Crosses The 12 Million Copies Sold Mark
- 2014-03-31: Minecraft PS3 Update Delivers New Features Like Zombie Villagers
- 2014-03-28: Minecraft Creator States Minecraft For Oculus Rift Would Have Been Free
- 2014-03-26: Minecraft TU14 Update Arrives On Xbox 360 Today, PS3 Tomorrow
- 2013-12-13: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Sells Over 10 Million Copies
- 2013-11-21: Minecraft Xbox 360 Skyrim Texture Pack Now Available
- 2013-11-18: Minecraft Xbox 360 Save File Transfers To Xbox One Currently In Development