Olympus unveiled its new flagship camera in its rugged point-and-shoot lineup, the Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS, which is an elegant device packed with impressive features. Compact cameras have to face fierce competition from smartphones and consequently, manufacturers feel the pressure to offer DSLR-like features in their consumer products. The Olympus TG-1 is the first high-speed bright f2.0 lens on a Tough camera that is waterproof to 12 m / 40 feet, shockproof to 2m/6.6 feet, freeze proof down to -10°C/14°F, crushproof to a weight of 100 kg/220lbs and dustproof.
The TG-1 inherited a superfast shutter speed and fast autofocus, a technology primarily developed for the Olympus PEN Series, that enable the “super sport mode”, a 60 fps (at 3 MP – 10fps at 12 MP) sequential shooting mode with a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000. Thanks to its new 12 megapixel BSI (Back Side Illuminated) CMOS sensor combined with the updated TruePi VI image processor (a.k.a iHS technology), the TG-1 offers great image quality in low light conditions, according to Olympus.
Additional features include 1080p Full HD Video, 4X optical zoom, 8x digital zoom (“super-resolution”), 3-inch high resolution OLED display (610k dots), LED illuminator in the front, geo-tagging with GPS and e.compass functions enabling route tracking using Google Earth and Picasa web applications. The converter ring allows expanding the optical capabilities with a lens converter adapter, waterproof Fisheye Converter Lens or Teleconverter Lens.
The Olympus TG-1 iHS will be available in silver in June for about $399.99.
Next Story: Battle Chess calls upon Kickstarter help
- 2014-04-14: Hawkeye Crime Surveillance System Tested, Proves Effective
- 2014-03-31: Motorcycle Is Actually A Camera
- 2014-03-24: Sony A3500 Camera Launched
- 2014-03-18: Tiny Camera Captures Aorta Selfies
- 2014-02-26: Corephotonics Offers Dual Lens Smartphone Camera Possibility
- 2013-08-26: Sony NEX-5T with WiFi, NFC and Fast Hybrid AF
- 2012-02-27: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Rugged Compact Camera
- 2012-02-27: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX66 Ultra-slim Camera
- 2012-01-29: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V Stylish 18.2 MP Glass Design Camera
- 2012-01-09: Olympus VR-340