Sony has just announced its new entry-level Apha 37 (a37) Digital Single-Lens Reflex (DSLR) which comes with an APS-C image sensor, a high-resolution (electronic) viewfinder and a burst mode that can snap 7 photos per second. This new model basically displaces the older A35 but stays physically comparable to the Sony A33. Most of the action happens on the inside.
With the introduction of this model, the whole SLT range shares the most recent imaging technology from Sony. Being newer, the Sony SLT-A37 gains a tilt display that was not available in the A35. However, it loses slightly in terms of display resolution. The A37 also gains some software goodness from higher-end SLT models like the “Pixel Super Resolution” which is a smart magnification technique. ‘Clear Image Zoom’ and ‘Auto Portrait Framing’ are other software features that made it into the A37.The Sony Alpha series is particularly good for video capture, and the SLT-A37 is no exception. You can record video comfortably with an auto-focus, or choose manual control to exert more control over things like exposure. On the audio side, Sony has integrated a stereo microphone and a wind noise reduction system, which can come in handy outdoors. Unfortunately, the Sony A37 does not shoot in 1080p60 (it does 1080i60/1080p24 instead, which is much less sharp/fluid). That said, at $599 (with the 18-55mm kit lens), this feature set is pretty competitive and it’s hard to complain.
The Sony SLT-A37 is very compact. It’s a blessing and a curse at the same time, depending on what you are comfortable with. But being smaller clearly means having more chances to be carried and therefore available when needed. At the same time, it’s big enough to be compatible with all the Alpha accessories, and that’s something that the compact NEX series can’t claim. Plus, this turns out to be more affordable in relation with the image quality as well. That said, if you don’t feel like tweaking a bunch of settings, the user interface of the NEX series is “better”. If do you want more control and higher quality at an affordable price, check this Sony SLT-A37 out.
- 16 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor (4912×3264 max photo resolution)
- ISO up to 25600
- SteadyShot image stabilization
- Build-in Flash
- Sony/Minolta Alpha lens mount
- Articulated LCD (tilts up/down)
- Electronic Viewfinder
- Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30sec
- Video recording in MP4, AVCHD, H.264
- 1Lbs, 124x92x85mm
- 2014-04-11: Sony Vaio Fit 11A Recall Because Of Battery Overheating Risk
- 2014-04-11: Sony Unveils H1Z1, Upcoming Zombie MMO Title
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-04-08: Improved PS Vita In Borderlands 2 Bundle Hits The US This May 6
- 2014-04-08: DxoMark Finds Sony Xperia Z2 To Have The Best Camera At The Moment
- 2013-10-16: Sony Alpha7R And Alpha 7 Become Official
- 2011-10-20: Sony NEX-7 launch postponed due to floods in Thailand
- 2011-08-24: Sony a77 DSLR
- 2009-05-16: Sony Officially Introduces Three User-Friendly DSLR Cameras + Accessories
- 2010-08-24: Sony Alpha A55 And A33 Go Official