Towards the end of May, Sony confirmed that the Xperia Play Android handset would not be seeing the update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Naturally this upset many Xperia Play owners who were probably looking forward to the update and according to Sony, this was due to stability issues that they felt would not make the Android 4.0 experience on the Xperia Play a good one. That being said, the folks at Xperia Gamer have spotted at the PTCRB that Sony had recently gained certification for the ICS software version for public use.
They have noted that this particular build is similar to the update that rolled out to the Xperia arc, thus causing speculation that perhaps the Android 4.0 update could be back on track for the Xperia Play. However on the other side of the coin, it could merely be a remnant left in the system for the Android 4.0 build that Sony had initially worked on before it got cancelled, so it might not mean anything at all. Either way it seems unlikely that Sony has decided to bring back Android 4.0 for the Xperia Play after they shelved it last month, so we suggest you not get your hopes up just yet, at least until Sony says differently. In the meantime there are Android 4.0 ROMs that Xperia Play owners will be able to get their hands on if they really wanted, although a bit of technical expertise might be required to root and flash your devices.
Next Story: Angry Birds Heikki pushed to the 25th of June
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2012-05-25: Sony confirms that the Xperia Play will not receive the Android 4.0 update
- 2012-05-24: No Android 4.0 update for the Sony Xperia Play?
- 2012-05-01: Verizon rolling out update for Sony Xperia Play, unfortunately it's not Android 4.0
- 2012-03-30: Sony Xperia Play gets Ice Cream Sandwich beta
- 2012-02-24: Sony Xperia Play 2 leaked?