In spite of the strong pressure it has faced from Korea’s top mobile carriers, mobile messaging company Kakao Inc. has launched its free mobile VoIP service KakaoTalk on Monday this week in its native hometown. Two weeks ago, the company introduced its free call feature to its users worldwide. The company said that the operator resistance was one reasons why the the launching of KakaoTalk with the free call feature in Korea was put on hold.
While the app is very promising, Korean operators were not happy and feared that the additional usage will put a significant strain on their data network. But in spite of the resistance, the developers have launched the app nevertheless. The app is currently available for iPhone users in Korea, but the company said that the app will be coming to Android this week. International users, on the other hand, can get the app via the App Store or Google Play.
KakaoTalk promises to allow users to make domestic and international calls for free using 3G or WiFi connections. Essentially, the app offers conventional features including the capability to send and receive text messages, make calls and share files. Features include support for 12 different languages, contact search integration with import and export of contact lists, unlimited group chat, KakaoTalk unique ID search, background customization, emoticons, free calls and privacy protection.
- 2014-04-23 Facebook Messenger Has 200 Million Users
- 2014-04-23 Samsung's Bundled Android Apps Aren't Getting Much Love [Study]
- 2014-04-22 iTunes App Store Now Labels Apps With In-App Purchases
- 2014-04-21 Mailbox 2.0 For iOS Released
- 2014-04-21 Ultimeyes App Will Help Improve Your Vision
- 2013-04-01 Viber For Windows Phone 8 Submitted To The Windows Phone Store, Could See A Release This Week
- 2012-07-09 Vox.io lets you make calls from your web browser for free
- 2011-11-08 AT&T launches VoIP app for making international calls
- 2011-10-28 WNM Live delivers free VoIP calls for Windows Phone 7 users
- 2011-10-24 Vonage launches Extensions app for iOS devices