Keep in mind that Apple files tons of patents each year, but there are a handful of ones that look like they may actually make it onto Apple’s next device. Apple has just been granted a patent that describes an application which will handle all of your travel needs called iTravel.
According to the patent, iTravel mains function is to allow the user to make travel reservations then share them with others. The applications also serves purpose to checking into a location and handling checked luggage. iTravel would work with your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
This application looks a lot like a more advanced version of Passbook, which was revealed at WWDC this year and will be included in iOS 6. Passbook allows you to store loyalty and gift cards on your device as well as boarding passes and tickets to sporting events or concerts. One of the reasons that this application may have not made it to the iPhone yet is because it uses NFC for a lot of the features such as sending ticketing information.
If Apple adds NFC in its next iPhone or iPad, iTravel could very well be included in iOS 6 or an updated future version of iOS 6. There are several Android devices on the market currently that have NFC capabilities including the Galaxy Nexus. NFC would also be useful for Apple’s proposed mobile payment system. We’ll keep you updated on the status of iTravel as more info becomes available.
Next Story: Sony Xperia P comes in a pretty pink shade now
- 2014-04-13 Apple Might Consider NFC For Next Generation iPhone
- 2014-03-19 LG Debuts Washing Machine With NFC Technology
- 2014-02-23 Sony Implements FeliCa/NFC Functionality In Gemalto MicroSD Cards
- 2014-01-21 Isis NFC iPhone Payments A Possibility With Incipio Cashwrap
- 2013-12-09 Nokia BH-121 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Announced
- 2011-03-17 iPhone 5 will feature NFC?
- 2011-03-14 Next iPhone won't have NFC?
- 2010-08-17 Rumor: Apple Already Testing Proximity-aware iPhones
- 2010-08-19 Nokia Smartphone With RFID Hits The FCC?
- 2010-11-01 NFC-Enabled iPhone 5 to Turn Any Mac Near You Into Your Own?