As some of you guys might have realized by now, the Google Nexus 7 does not have a rear-facing camera. This might not be a big deal for some who might consider it a tech faux pas to be taking photos with a tablet in the first place, while others are lamenting the lack of a rear-facing camera and could be considering other options. Well if you’re wondering why ASUS (the OEM for the Nexus 7) decided to omit the rear-facing camera, it came as no surprise when they revealed that the camera was not included simply due to costing reasons.
“To make this device accessible to the widest possible market, price is very important. ASUS believes that for this device a good rear camera is important. Adding a high quality rear facing camera will increase the price point and many users would not have a use for it. Adding a lower quality rear facing camera would compromise on the overall user experience so the decision was made not to include a front facing camera therefore keeping the price down and user experience extremely high.”
Seems like pretty fair reasoning, but what say you? Is the lack of a rear-facing camera putting you off from purchase? In any case if you’re still on the fence or would like to learn more about whether the Nexus 7 is the tablet for you, be sure to check out our full review of the device here.
- 2014-04-23 AT&T Teases ASUS PadFone X In New Video
- 2014-04-10 ASUS Transformer Book T100 Receives CPU Upgrade
- 2014-04-09 PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-27 AT&T Details ASUS PadFone X Specifications
- 2014-03-24 ASUS ZenFone 6, 5, And 4 To Be Released In April
- 2013-10-03 Google Might Not Go With ASUS For 2014's Nexus 7 [Rumor]
- 2013-09-08 ASUS Reportedly Trying To Emerge From Under Google's 'Aura'
- 2013-02-07 Nexus 7 To Carry Qualcomm Processor Instead?
- 2013-01-28 Google Works With Asus For Next Generation Nexus 7
- 2012-11-09 If You Bought a Nexus 7 in October, Google Wants To Give You Money