Bicycle locks are pretty standard accessories to have if you own a bicycle, and in terms of design – they haven’t really changed over the years. Well, some folks have come up with an interesting concept lock that they think can work better than what we already have. Called the Pedal Lock, it is basically what its name implies: a bicycle lock that doubles up as pedals for your mode of transportation.
The concept is simple – once you park your bike, you just disassemble the pedals and use them to lock your bicycle wheel. So while regular forms of security can be circumvented by destroying the lock, any attempts to break the Pedal Lock will ensure that the thief will not have any pedals to cycle with. Unless of course they brought some spare pedals along.
However, the idea of having to touch those pedals (that you’ve had your dirty shoes on all day long) every time you need to lock the bike isn’t very appealing. Plus it doesn’t stop thieves from just taking your whole bicycle with them and then disassembling the lock at their own leisure. It’s still an interesting concept that could be an additional form of security to your standard lock. Read up more here.
- 2014-03-28: There’s No Stopping This Juggernaut Trike
- 2014-02-04: RYNO Cycle Could Make Unicycles Cool Again
- 2013-12-03: Copenhagen Wheel Assists Cyclists Through Its Rechargeable Battery
- 2013-10-15: Desperado E-bike Sports Two Motors And Top Speed Of 80km/h
- 2013-06-24: Citi Bike Smart Helmet Helps Guide Riders To Nearest Docking Station