A South Korean court ruled on Friday morning that Apple and Samsung Electronics are not entirely poster boys for honesty, having infringed on each other’s patents in their rivalry to take over the world of smartphones and tablets. Hence, the same South Korean court ordered a partial ban of products from both hardware manufacturers, meaning this partial ban will take place only in South Korea. No idea on whether this will be a precedent for courts elsewhere in the world where both of these tech giants are duking it out for market supremacy, but we will wait and see. Damage payments have also been ordered from both firms.
Just what kind of effect will this partial ban have on both companies? Well, Apple was ordered to remove their iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2 from store shelves, claiming that they infringed on a couple of Samsung’s telecommunications patents. Not only that, the same court also decreed that Samsung infringed one of Apple’s patents which had to do with the screen’s bouncing back ability, hence banning sales of the Galaxy S2. It does seem as though Samsung came out of this “cleaner” than Apple in South Korea, but the war between the iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 smartphones continue in that part of the world since they were not affected.
As for the monetary compensation, Samsung has to cough up $22,000 to Apple, and Apple has to pay Samsung $32,500 thereabouts after conversion from the Korean won. Peanuts, really.
Next Story: HTC Proto photo leaked
- 2014-04-18: Samsung And Swiss Federal Railways Work Out An Agreement
- 2014-04-18: Samsung’s Milk Music To Cost $4 Monthly For Ad-Free Experience
- 2014-04-17: Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-17: Galaxy S5 Review
- 2014-04-17: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2013-06-21: Japan Court Claims Samsung Infringed Upon Apple’s Bounce Back Patent
- 2013-04-25: Judge Koh To Samsung And Apple: Lower Your Claim Numbers For 2014’s Patent Trial Already!
- 2013-04-11: German Court Invalidates Samsung 3G Patent
- 2013-01-31: US Court Denies Sales Ban Of Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- 2013-01-29: Samsung Did Not Infringe On Apple’s Patents Willfully