I’ve never really fancied the free-to-play model as it usually leads gamers to spend more than they would have if they had bought the game outright. However it seems that the F2P model is catching on and it seems that Blizzard might be interested in it as well. If you thought that this might have something to do with their MMORPG, World of Warcraft, you’d be mistaken as apparently Blizzard is currently looking at perhaps turning the Starcraft 2 multiplayer experience into a F2P one. This was revealed (via PCGamesn) at Valencia eSports Congress by Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm’s lead designer Dustin Bowder. However this is not a guarantee and is by no means confirmation, but rather Blizzard just exploring the possibility.
According to Bowder, “We don’t know how [Blizzard] would monetize it. While it might be good fun for me to play against someone with only half the units available to them, that’s not going to be an enjoyable experience for them.” What do you guys think? Should Blizzard embrace the F2P model for Starcraft 2?
- 2014-04-23 BlizzCon 2014 Announced For 7-8 November
- 2014-04-18 Azeroth Choppers Episode 1 Is Now Live
- 2014-04-16 Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft Arrives On The iPad
- 2014-04-16 Warlords Of Draenor Might Not Require You To Upgrade Your Computer
- 2014-04-11 Blizzard Unveils New Heroes Of The Storm Characters
- 2013-03-22 StarCraft 2: Heart Of The Swarm Sells 1.1 Million Copies In 48 Hours
- 2013-03-12 StarCraft 2: Heart Of The Swarm Has Gone Live!
- 2013-02-26 Another Starcraft 2: Heart Of The Swarm Trailer Appears
- 2013-01-22 StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic Revealed
- 2012-12-24 Blizzard expands Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm beta to pre-purchasers