So Canon has both the 1D, 5D, 6D and 7D as part of its higher-end DSLR lineup, but have you ever wondered by they skipped the 2D, 3D and 4D? Well the 2D and 3D have different sorts of implications that we guess Canon did not want which could confuse their customers (Canon EOS 3D sounds like it could take 3D photos or videos), but what about the 4D? Culturally they do not like the number because much like the Chinese, the number 4 when pronounced could also refer to “death” which we guess might explain why they have avoided naming their cameras the 2D, 3D and 4D, at least until now.
In a promo video for the Canon EOS 6Don Amazon’s website, it seems that in one of the apps a Canon EOS 4D reference was spotted. Granted it is kind of blurry but it almost looks like it says 4D if you squint hard enough. It certainly does not look like 6D or 7D, let alone the 1D or 5D, so what are we looking at here? Is there a 4D in the works, or was this merely a placeholder or are we reading too much into things? In any case if you’re curious, you can head on over to Amazon and check out the video yourself around the 19 second mark. So, what do you guys think?
- 2014-04-07: Nokia Lumia Icon Goes Up Against The Canon EOS Rebel XTi
- 2014-03-11: Canon PowerShot G1 X II Might See 9th May Release Instead
- 2014-03-07: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Recalled Due To Allergic Reaction Risk
- 2014-03-03: Canon Doesn't See Smartphones As The Enemy
- 2014-02-28: Canon EOS M2 Will Be Arriving To The US [Updated]