As soon as Apple had taken the wraps off its new flagship smartphone, iPhone 5, there was praise as well as criticism. Many said that the new iPhone lacked innovation and that iPhone 5 may finally lead to Apple’s decline in the smartphone market. As it turns out, the facts point to the contrary.
We reported earlier that Apple as well as the wireless carriers offering the device ran out of the pre-orders stock within hours. The demand was so high that the shipment date for those who are now placing the pre-order had to be pushed weeks away. And now, Apple has divulged exactly how many pre-orders it has landed within the first 24 hours.
According to a press release by Apple, it was able to land 2 million pre-orders for iPhone 5 within the first 24 hours! That’s a huge, huge number and naturally, it pokes a hole in all the theories stating that iPhone 5 is going to be a failure.
Commenting on the new sales record set by iPhone 5, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, Philip Schiller said, “iPhone 5 pre-orders have shattered the previous record held by iPhone 4S and the customer response to iPhone 5 has been phenomenal. iPhone 5 is the best iPhone yet, the most beautiful product we’ve ever made, and we hope customers love it as much as we do.”
For those who were lucky enough to land an early pre-order, they will be able lay their hands on the new iPhone on September 21. However, Apple states, many late pre-order deliveries are scheduled to be in October.
- 2014-04-11: Leaked iPhone Cases Reveal New Button Cut Outs
- 2014-04-10: Analyst: iPhone 6 Sleep/Wake Button Could Be Relocated
- 2014-04-09: Apple's Recent Broadcom Hires Corroborates In-House Baseband Rumors
- 2014-04-09: 4.7-inch And 5.5-inch iPhone Models Could Feature Different Resolutions [Rumor]
- 2014-04-09: Apple's Roadmap For 2014, According To An Analyst
- 2013-09-26: iPhone 5S $24 Upgrade Kit Turns Your iPhone 5 Into The Latest iPhone... Sort Of
- 2013-09-16: iPhone 5 Sticky Notes Now A Reality Thanks to Paperback
- 2013-09-13: The PocketPlug Is An iPhone Case With A Built-In Charger
- 2013-09-12: ChargeKey Is A Lightning Cable Small Enough To Fit On Your Keychain
- 2013-09-02: Wal-Mart iPhone 5 And iPad Prices Slashed