The portable media player can be said to be a “dead” segment, with smartphones these days more or less taking over your portable entertainment needs. I mean, why carry around two devices when a single smartphone is powerful enough to handle your music and video on-the-go while making and receiving calls? Battery life might be an issue for the frequent traveler who might not have easy access to a power outlet, but other than that, for majority of the folks out there, a dedicated portable media player is not at the top of one’s wish list. Samsung’s latest patent that was granted to them might shift the balance of power somewhat, where it talks about a camera which also doubles up as a multimedia player, albeit with a detachable portable media player unit, now how about that?
This component will hold the display as well as have a separate internal memory segment, but also carries the important multimedia module to allow the camera to record movies. This patent was applied half a decade ago, so such a device might never arrive on the market, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Patent Reveals Earphone With Heads Up Display
- 2014-04-10: Samsung Intends To Trademark Gear Now And Gear Solo In The US
- 2014-03-13: ZiiLabs Tales Samsung And Apple To Court Over Patent Infringement
- 2014-03-06: Samsung Receives Patent For "Touch Display Apparatus Sensing Touch Force"
- 2014-03-05: Samsung's Google Glass Rival Patent Filing Reveals AR Keyboard