AU Optronics, the Taiwanese TFT-LCD manufacturer, has unveiled the world’s thinnest bezel display on a smartphone. AUO harnesses its “super narrow border technology” and low temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) methodologies to significantly reduce the display border width to a mere 1mm on a 4.46-inch screen that has a 720p resolution. This, according to AUO, will make images and videos appear larger in size and better in terms of quality. “The panel is capable of exhibiting sharper quality for texts, and refined and realistic image property,” the company said.
Additionally, AUO also announced that it was able to successfully develop IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) and AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle panels ranging from 3 inches to 15.6 inches for smartphones, e-readers, tablets, ultrabooks, digital cameras, and car displays. One example is AUO’s 4.97-inch Full HD AHVA mobile display that has a full HD resolution of 1080 x 1920 (443ppi) and is currently in production. Another one reportedly in the works is an ultra-slim IGZO-based 10-inch panel technology for tablets that has a whopping 2560 x 1600 resolution.
- 2013-09-11: New PS Vita LCD Screen Compared To Previous Model's OLED Screen
- 2013-09-03: Video Earrings Are Small LCDs That Hang From Your Earlobes
- 2013-08-20: LG Develops World’s First Quad HD AH-IPS LCD Panel For Smartphones
- 2013-05-16: Sharp Gets To Work On HiDPI IGZO LCD Panels
- 2013-04-10: The Different Television Types Explained In 3 Minutes
- 2012-10-29: AUO flashes the world's thinnest bezel display
- 2011-10-31: AUO flexible paper comes with battery pack
- 2011-10-28: See-through panels are the future
- 2011-06-20: AUO Sipix e-paper hits 6 fps for video, might even touch 16fps
- 2011-02-08: AU Optronics says glasses-free 3D will be mainstream by 2013