Apple’s announcing something tomorrow, and although we’re not completely sure what we’re going to see, we have a pretty good idea it involves something “mini.” But there may be a surprise update to the iPad “3″ tomorrow to bring it up to date with the rest of iOS’s new line: it will ditch the old 30-pin connector for Apple’s new Lightning port.
Apple’s new connector is a significant technical achievement and a clear improvement over the old connector. The problem is, the 30-pin covers all iPhones up to the 4S and it started way back with the original iPod. So there’s a huge ecosystem of products still on the market that use it. But it’s time to change, and update all of Apple’s products, so the new ecosystem can flourish. It makes sense that tomorrow’s a good time for Apple to update their flagship tablet as they introduce a new tablet. So here’s a PSA: don’t buy an iPad until you know it’s getting updated, unless you have 30-pin accessories you were hoping to use.
Image courtesy of Apple.Pro
Next Story: Bill Gates: Surface is "unbelievably great"
- 2014-04-23 Apple Sells 43.7 Million iPhones, 16.3 Million iPads In Q2 2014
- 2014-04-23 iPad Dominates U.S. Tablet Market But Others Are Catching Up
- 2014-04-21 Former Apple Exec Thinks The iPad Needs To Be More MacBook-like
- 2014-04-18 Next-Gen iPad Air Spotted In Leaked Photos (Rumor)
- 2014-04-16 Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft Arrives On The iPad
- 2014-04-09 Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-02-16 iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued
- 2014-02-13 iPad 2 Production Reportedly Nearing Its End
- 2013-11-25 Apple iPad Mini 3 Prototype With Touch ID Spotted [Rumor]
- 2013-09-27 Gold iPad Mini 2 With Touch ID Fingerprint Scanner Leaked In New Photo [Rumor]