At the beginning of the month, we reported on an apparent glitch in the iCloud system that saw users’ storage levels expiring – not soon, but rather, an entire generation later; 38 years to be exact. That glitch saw Apple react by extending the increased temporary storage for former MobileMe users by another year, which is better than nothing. Originally, Apple rolled out their iCloud service that delivered 5GB of online storage, which was a whole lot less compared to the 20GB which was on offer by its previous MobileMe service. In order to assist MobileMe users in the migration process, Apple did open up 20GB of additional storage for existing MobileMe users on a temporary basis to help them accommodate their data during the transition period.
This additional storage was meant to be around for just the first month of iCloud, but it was extended to the end of September. Users were pleasantly surprised to see a 38-year extension of their existing storage levels when September 30th rolled around instead of an expiration. Apple has fixed this issue by offering another temporary extension for 20GB of storage for another year, with the following e-mail in tow which you can read after the jump.
Dear [iCloud User],
When you moved your MobileMe account to iCloud, we provided you with a complimentary storage upgrade beyond the standard 5GB that comes with an iCloud account to help you with the transition. Originally, this storage upgrade was set to expire on September 30, 2012.
As a thank you to our former MobileMe members, we will continue to provide you with this complimentary storage upgrade at no charge, for an additional year, until September 30, 2013. No action is required on your part. For complete details, please read this article.
Thank you again for using iCloud,
Next Story: AT&T introduces 14 day device return policy
- 2013-11-22 Dropbox CEO Reveals Steve Jobs Wanted To Kill Off Their Service
- 2013-10-01 Former MobileMe Users Now Being Shifted To Standard iCloud Storage
- 2013-09-17 iCloud Website Gets An iOS 7 Makeover
- 2013-08-23 Apple's iWork For iCloud Beta Now Available To All
- 2013-08-22 Apple’s iCloud Service Experienced Downtime Today
- 2013-03-21 Apple Rolls Out Two Step Verification For iCloud And Apple ID
- 2012-09-24 MobileMe users reach end of iCloud storage road
- 2012-08-08 Apple freezes iCloud password change over the phone
- 2012-08-06 iCloud account of Mat Honan hacked
- 2012-07-26 iCloud-shaped house for the hardcore Apple fan