Here’s a reason to give your email to those “coming soon” or “beta” webpages: it looks like if you were so excited about Boxee’s upcoming Boxee TV that you gave them your email, and you live in a major market area, you could be receiving a free Boxee TV before they even come out. The Verge is reporting that Boxee is sending out emails promising a free Boxee TV in exchange for filling out a survey. These surveys seem to only be going out to people who signed up before today, and only in the areas where Boxee is rolling out its Cloud DVR service. That means Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC.
The Boxee TV is a media streamer that combines an over-the-air antenna with a cloud DVR service and a coax input. We’re excited about it, but we haven’t got a chance to put it through its paces yet. If it works as advertised, it could be a great device for cord-cutters.
If you want to give Boxee your email for a chance to get one of these emails, the the Boxee page is here, but it looks like the email signup is down.
- 2013-07-03: Samsung Confirms Boxee Acquisition
- 2013-07-03: Rumor: Samsung Purchased Boxee For Under $30 Million
- 2013-04-09: Boxee Box Rebranded To Cloud DVR
- 2012-10-26: Is Boxee Giving Away Free Boxee TVs?
- 2012-10-16: Boxee's Cloud DVR may convince you to ditch cable
- 2012-06-04: Boxee's video sharing service Cloudee launched in private beta