Considering that Microsoft surprised many, their manufacturing partners included, with the release of their own branded hardware, the Microsoft Surface tablet, many speculated that Microsoft might attempt to do the same thing with their Windows Phone platform and release a Microsoft-made smartphone. Microsoft of course denied those rumors, but we hardly expected that to slow down the rumor mill, with the latest rumor coming from China Times. The publication has suggested that Microsoft has been working on their own hardware for the past few months with different assembly partners and that we can expect a Microsoft made Windows Phone device in the first half of 2013.
Of course given that this is merely a rumor at this point with no hard evidence backing it up, we suggest taking it with a grain of salt for now. However would such a device be completely out of the question? According to Garter analyst, Roberta Cozza, it would make sense especially if Microsoft had gained a reputable and sizeable following from its Surface tablet, although Cozza also noted that Microsoft might have some difficulty against other manufacturers who are more established, such as Samsung, HTC, Motorola and etc. There is also the issue of burning bridges where their manufacturing partners are concerned, and such a move would only be a “last resort” according to IHS Screen Digest analyst, Ian Fogg, but what do you guys think? Would you like to see Microsoft follow in Apple’s footsteps and start releasing their own brand of hardware and software for mobile devices?
- 2014-04-22 Microsoft Organizes Party To Celebrate E.T. Videogame Dig
- 2014-04-22 Second Windows 8.1 Major Update To Arrive In August (Rumor)
- 2014-04-21 Phil Spencer Admits More Needs To Be Done For The Xbox One
- 2014-04-21 Motorola Solutions Licenses Microsoft IP For Chrome And Android Devices
- 2014-04-21 Microsoft Expands Retail Presence In The U.S.
- 2014-04-17 Cortana Is Off-Limits To Users Aged Below 13 Years Old
- 2014-04-16 Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2014-04-15 WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14 Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Version Revealed
- 2012-09-14 Microsoft employees enjoy a very Windows Christmas