When you throw Barnes & Noble and Microsoft in to the same room together, you end up with Nook Media LLC, a new entity. The result of a complete strategic partnership, this new subsidiary is said to assist companies in advancing world-class digital reading experiences to the masses. The partnership will require Microsoft to fork out $300 million in advance, where it will be parked under Nook Media LLC’s umbrella.
William Lynch, CEO of Barnes & Noble, said, “As demand for digital content continues to increase, we are focused on bringing ground-breaking reading and learning content and technologies to more people in more formats than ever before, including the imminent launch of our exceptional NOOK reading application for Windows 8. We look forward to working closely with our new partner Microsoft to add value to their innovative new platform by bringing great reading experiences and one of the world’s preeminent digital bookstores to millions of Windows 8 users.”
There will not be any timetable for Barnes & Noble’s next move when it comes to the strategic options involving Nook Media LLC, but one thing is for sure – we do not know whether this might end up as a strategic separation, or might it even result as a stand-alone public company. Only time will tell. [Press Release]
Next Story: Nokia Windows RT tablet in the works [Rumor]
- 2014-04-16: Bing.com Gets Personalized Cards
- 2014-04-16: Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2014-04-16: Microsoft Discounting Windows XP Support For Enterprise
- 2014-04-16: Microsoft's New All-In-One Media Keyboard Destined For Your Living Room
- 2014-04-15: Microsoft To Open 11 More Specialty Retail Stores In The US
- 2012-06-18: Barnes & Noble confirms they are NOT part of Microsoft's announcement today
- 2012-06-17: Microsoft and Barnes & Noble tablet announcement coming?
- 2012-04-30: Microsoft announces $300 million strategic partnership with Barnes & Noble
- 2011-03-21: Microsoft sues Barnes & Noble for patent infringement