While hardware specs and built-in features are important when it comes to smartphones, just as important are the apps available for your chosen platform. After all a phone with the most powerful hardware specs but lacking in apps might be passed up for a less powerful device with a bevy of apps to choose from. Well if you liked the recently revealed Windows Phone 8 handsets by Nokia and HTC and were thinking about hopping about the Windows Phone 8 bandwagon, you might be interested to learn that the Windows Phone Marketplace has published over 126,000 apps to date.
This estimate is courtesy of All About Windows Phone which also includes apps that have been published but removed. It should be noted that these aren’t the official figures so give some leeway when it comes to the numbers. According to the estimate, the number of apps available at the moment are between 113,000 to 120,000, which when compared to Android and iOS are quite small but considering that Microsoft took less time than Android (roughly 20 months versus 26 months), we guess it could be taken as a good sign.
On the flipside, it also seems that the rate of development might have plateaued. It has been speculated that this might be because of Microsoft’s announcement that Windows Phone 7.5 devices will not see an upgrade to Windows Phone 8 which no doubt have influenced the decision of some developers. In any case what do you guys think? Is 120,000 apps enough for you to choose from? Or is it still too low for you to make the switch to Windows Phone?
- 2014-04-08: Office For iPad Team Confirms Print Feature Is Coming "In Due Course"
- 2014-04-08: German Carrier Launches WhatsApp Specific SIM Card Deal
- 2014-04-08: Decision To Ship Office For iPad Was Made During Steve Ballmer's Tenure
- 2014-04-08: Facebook On iPhone Could Be Responsible For Huge Battery Drain
- 2014-04-07: Knock Lock For Android Locks Your Phone By Tapping The Display
- 2014-04-04: Flipboard For Windows Phone Spotted At BUILD
- 2014-03-28: Fake Google Apps Hit The Windows Phone Store
- 2014-03-25: VLC For Windows Phone 8.1 Revealed In Screenshot
- 2014-03-18: Instagram For Windows Phone Updated With Lock Screen Support
- 2014-03-12: Microsoft Noting App Submissions With Windows Phone 8.1 Compatibility