A couple of weeks ago AT&T confirmed that they would be activating FaceTime-Over-Cellular for their customers, although this was limited to customers on a tiered data plan. However rather interestingly, it seems that according to some reports via the MacRumors forum, AT&T might have extended FaceTime-Over-Cellular to all of its subscribers, even those who are on grandfathered unlimited data plans which have since been abolished by the carrier. According to the post:
“In a recent thread we were discussing AT&T members getting facetime with LTE devices and tiered plans. However I noticed today that I have facetime over cellular and I have an unlimited plan on my 5.
I just turned off my other phone, a 4S and turned it back on, only to find the switch flipped to ON for facetime over cellular. Both phones work perfectly over cellular.
I also checked a few coworkers phones, all now have FT over cellular.”
Since AT&T has yet to make an official announcement regarding this matter, this could simply be a mistake on AT&T’s part and that they did not intend to allow FaceTime-Over-Cellular for all their customers. In any case if you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 and you’re on AT&T’s grandfathered unlimited data plans, let us know in the comments below if you have your FaceTime-Over-Cellular activated as well!
- 2014-03-12: Apple Stepping Up Camera Efforts In Recent Job Listings
- 2014-03-10: FaceTime Turns 2-Year Old Into Hero, Saves Mom From Dog Attack
- 2014-02-28: Apple Handles 40 Billion iMessages, 15-20 Million FaceTime Calls Daily
- 2014-01-16: Apple FaceTime Invention Boasts Of Face Morphing And Image Matching To Ensure That Video Remains Smooth
- 2013-12-20: FaceTime Audio Calls Arrive In Latest OS X Mavericks Beta
- 2013-05-20: AT&T Assures Support For All Video Chat Apps By Year's End
- 2013-05-16: Google Hangouts Video Chat Blocked Over AT&T Cellular
- 2013-01-16: AT&T Begins Offering FaceTime Over Cellular Service To Tiered Data Customers
- 2012-11-08: AT&T Allows Apple's Facetime over Cellular
- 2012-08-20: AT&T announces they will not be charging for FaceTime