HTC has officially announced the long-rumored Droid DNA, the newest superphone to hit Verizon for the holiday season. The phablet-size Galaxy Note competitor was known as the HTC DLX (pronounced “deluxe”) and it will boast a 5″ 1080p display that we spotted at CEATEC a a little while back. The display is not only the only 1080p display on a smartphone, but at 441ppi, it has a higher pixel density than any other TV, tablet or smartphone on the market. In addition to the jaw-dropping screen, the phone is also packing a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, a 2500mAh battery, and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean with a healthy slice of HTC Sense on top. And it’ll have LTE connectivity, which used to be a high-end handset given before the Nexus 4. The camera is also supposed to be strong, with a 8 megapixel sensor, which is slightly disappointing compared to the rumors of a 13-megapixel sensor. Plus, the Droid DNA is also the first major Android phone to come with wireless charging standard.
HTC is billing the Droid DNA as a phone, not a “phablet,” but at a 5″ screen, we’ll have to see how it feels in the hand before passing judgement.
You can pre-order a Droid DNA now. The phone itself launches on Verizon for $199 with contract on November 20.
We’re about to get some hands-on time, so stay tuned.
We’ve got the Droid DNA in our grubby little hands. Take a look at our hands-on here.
Next Story: GoPro for Android now available for download
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Sense 6 Gets Ported Onto Nexus 5
- 2014-04-14: Sense 6.0 Arriving On HTC One By End Of May
- 2014-04-08: HTC One Review (M8)
- 2014-04-08: HTC M8 Ace Leaked
- 2013-12-08: Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android 4.2.2 Update Released
- 2013-05-15: Verizon HTC One Release Rumored
- 2012-12-17: Verizon "employee edition" of the HTC DROID DNA spotted
- 2012-11-19: Droid DNA Review
- 2012-11-13: Droid DNA Hands-On!