It is safe to say that the iPad mini is just a small iPad with stereo speakers and an LG display. We know because we’re currently reviewing the device. If the iPad mini featured a Retina-display, will it change the underwhelming response of Apple fans? Well, according to DoNews, Apple might be considering a follow-up to the iPad mini this early. The Chinese website is saying that AU Optronics, a TFT LCD manufacturer based in Taiwan, is now being ordered by Apple to mass produce 7.9-inch displays with a 2048 x 1536 resolution.
The current iPad mini features a 7.9-inch display with a 1024 x 768 resolution. If the rumor is true, then Apple might launch an iPad mini that has twice the pixel density of the existing model. Last week, AU Optronics announced that it was able to successfully develop IGZO (Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide) and AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle) panels for a wide variety consumer electronic products. It’s worth noting that these are merely rumors that will have to be filtered with care. Therefore, a little dose of scepticism will help.
- 2014-04-09: Touch ID Rumored To Arrive For The iPad This Year
- 2014-03-31: iPad Air & iPad mini With LTE Hits China At Last
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-18: Apple Reportedly Picks Samsung To Manufacture iPad Mini Display Panels
- 2014-02-16: iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued
- 2013-08-01: New iPad Mini To Use Samsung Retina Displays, Says WSJ
- 2013-06-09: iPhone 6 With 4.8 Inch Display Rumored, Retina iPad Mini Delayed
- 2013-05-19: iPad Mini 2 Display May Be Manufactured By Three Suppliers
- 2013-05-15: iPad Mini 2 Render Hints At Design And Alleged Specifications
- 2013-03-18: Analyst Predicts Retina iPad Mini To Launch Q3/Q4 2013