Good news and bad news Windows Phone 7.5 owners – Microsoft has given us an official update on the status of Windows Phone 7.8 along with a timeframe of release, but unfortunately if you were hoping to get the update sometime this week you might be disappointed. Microsoft has stated in their blog (source link below) that the Windows Phone 7.8 update will only be making its way to WP7.5 handsets come early 2013 – no specific dates were mentioned. Granted this isn’t the WP8 that many WP7.5 owners were hoping for, but hopefully the new features such as resizable Live Tiles, security enhancements and additional color schemes (amongst other features) will be able to make up for some of it.
This corroborates previous rumors that suggested that WP7.8 would only be arriving in 2013. Naturally many were hoping this wouldn’t be the case and we got a sliver of hope when it was suggested that WP7.8 had been released to manufacturers, indicating a possible release, with one report suggesting that it would be released as soon as today! It looks like something did happen today, albeit an announcement to inform us that WP7.8 would only be arriving next year. Additional details about the update can be found on Microsoft’s blog.
Next Story: Nexus 4 Backorder Stretches To 2013
- 2014-04-18: Advertisers Reportedly Spending More Money On Bing Now
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-17: 5 Million Xbox One Consoles Shipped To Date
- 2014-04-17: Cortana Is Off-Limits To Users Aged Below 13 Years Old
- 2014-04-17: Xbox Music Update For Windows Phone 8.1 Coming Next Week
- 2014-04-16: Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview Version Revealed
- 2014-04-14: Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview Could Be Released Today [Rumor]