Amazon has announced its Amazon Instant video app for iPhone earlier today, and that’s really good news, particularly for Amazon Prime subscribers who can get a ton of content for free. Just to give you some context, the Amazon Instant Video library features 140,000 titles and Prime members get free access to 30,000 of them. We’ve tried the app, and we were pleased to see that the video quality looks top-notch on the iPhone 5 retina display.
You can choose to stream the audio to an Apple TV, but unfortunately, there is no way to stream the movie itself to a large display. This is probably a licensing issue as content providers price movies differently depending on the device they are watched on. The navigation and overall user interface is clean and straightforward and this is a high-quality app.
Despite having a Prime membership that I use mainly for its shipping benefits, I don’t use Amazon video that much because I had a poor first impression the last time I tried on a big TV. However, this app gives me hope and I will surely revisit their service now that the video quality seems to have improved drastically. In case you are wondering, the app also works on the iPad Touch.
- 2014-04-21: Google Glass SMS iPhone Support Coming Soon
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2013-06-27: Skype Updates iPhone App To Support Video Messaging Feature
- 2013-06-17: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Releasing On iOS June 20
- 2013-06-14: Microsoft Office Available On iPhone; Requires Office 365 Subscription
- 2013-05-24: iOS 7 Redesign May Feature Flat 'Black and White' Design
- 2011-08-15: Amazon makes life easier for students with the Student app