ISPs, it is about time you started quaking in your well heeled designer boots. FreedomPop is hard at work to deliver open Wi-Fi alongside free home Internet connectivity, now how about that? After all, I am quite sure that many of us have been at the mercy of our Internet service providers (ISPs) from one time to another, but FreedomPop intends to buck the trend. Backed by Skype co-founder Niklas Zennstrom, DCM and Mangrove Capital, FreedomPop intends to deliver more affordable Internet access as well as letting folks share access with others on its network.
When doing so, you will receive credits on the FreedomPop network, and the potential for FreedomPop to be disruptive to the broadband industry is somewhat similar to how Skype changed the voice industry. The service to share and receive mobile Internet access via its iPod touch cases (iPhone cases on their way) which retail for $99 a pop are powered by WiMAX, transforming the iPod touch into an Internet device. Apart from that, a 4G mi-fi router and a 4G USB dongle for laptops are also available, and nearly 40% of users pick up a degree of free credits on FreedomPop.
FreedomPop has finally hit positive cash flow in November since its launch, and now gives out approximately 300GB of access each day.
- 2014-03-04: FreedomPop Privacy Phone aka Snowden Phone Features Integrated VPN
- 2013-10-01: FreedomPop Launches Free Cell Phone Service
- 2013-06-05: FreedomPop Introduces 100% Free Smartphone Service
- 2013-04-24: FreedomPop Announces Sprint-Friendly Hotspot For $40
- 2013-03-06: FreedomPop Sets To Upset ISPs By Offering Free Broadband Internet