Not many of us have a need for a notebook or laptop dock these days, but that has not stopped Asus from rolling out what they call the Asus VariDrive USB 3.0 Laptop Dock. After all, with the growing number of Ultrabook users being a trend worldwide, the port replicator peripheral can be said to have made quite a comeback in terms of popularity. Laptop docks that are of the USB 3.0 variety seem to be the most appealing since they need not have to remain exclusive to a specific notebook model. Well, here we are with the Asus VariDrive USB 3.0 Laptop Dock that is powered by DisplayLink’s DL-3900 IC, bringing along with it an integrated 8x slot-loading DVD burner, a 3-port USB 3.0 hub; HDMI, VGA output; and gigabit Ethernet.
With the video processor within, it can power a couple of displays simultaneously at resolutions of up to 2048 x 1152 in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Not only that, the Asus VariDrive allows you to turn and twist the optical drive section so that the dock is transformed into a kickstand, now how about that for versatility?
- 2014-04-10: ASUS Transformer Book T100 Receives CPU Upgrade
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-27: AT&T Details ASUS PadFone X Specifications
- 2014-03-24: ASUS ZenFone 6, 5, And 4 To Be Released In April
- 2014-03-23: ASUS PadFone X Spotted At The FCC