Earlier this month, we reported on an uncovered patent Disney filed for a new gaming device that would focus on 3D augmented reality by allowing the player to interact with their surrounds through the gaming device. Fortunately for our ever-shrinking gaming wallets, Disney isn’t getting into the video game console or handheld business, but instead announced its Disney Infinity platform.
Disney Infinity will focus on toys being the center piece of the experience as each character can be transported into the game world to play in a sandbox game. At its launch, there will be 20 characters available based on Monsters University, The Incredibles and Pirates of the Caribbean. The starter pack will come with Sulley from Monsters University, Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean and Mr. Incredible from The Incredibles. More characters are expected to be made available after the game’s initial release from both the Disney and Pixar universe.
Disney Infinity will launch this June for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, PC and mobile with support of four-player online games or two players via split-screen.
We can’t help but think Disney borrowed the idea of Skylanders using toys to add another layer of interactivity to their games, but we’re sure with the power of Disney behind the game and their toys, it’ll be a nearly guaranteed hit this holiday season.
- 2014-04-01: Nintendo 3DS XL Gets Disney Magical World Edition
- 2014-03-03: Disney And Dish Arrive At A TV Distribution Deal
- 2014-02-25: Disney Movies Anywhere iOS App Offers Easy Access To All Movies
- 2013-12-24: Twitter Co-Founder Jack Dorsey Joins Walt Disney's Board
- 2013-12-05: Zact Teams Up With Disney To Deliver Family-Friendly Smartphone Service