The video game console market is already pretty saturated as Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have been battling it out for supremacy, while independent consoles like the Ouya and GameStick have come out of nowhere and gained a ton of support through Kickstarter. Now according to a patent uncovered by Patently Apple, it looks as though Disney might be getting into the video game console market.
According to the patent, Disney’s gaming console will focus on providing a 3D augmented reality experience with its titles, similar to what the Nintendo 3DS does, except a ton more support for AR experiences. One action the patent describes is taking a picture of a mug, being able to animate the mug and then viewing it within the device to look like a cartoon character.
Judging by the images tied to the patent, it looks like whatever the device Disney is cooking up will be a handheld device that looks similar to the Nintendo DS. We’re not sure how Nintendo will feel about a device similar to its DS line being made available for retail, and we’re sure if Disney’s patents turn out to be an actual product, they’ll have something to say about it.
- 2014-04-01: Nintendo 3DS XL Gets Disney Magical World Edition
- 2014-03-03: Disney And Dish Arrive At A TV Distribution Deal
- 2014-02-25: Disney Movies Anywhere iOS App Offers Easy Access To All Movies
- 2013-12-24: Twitter Co-Founder Jack Dorsey Joins Walt Disney's Board
- 2013-12-05: Zact Teams Up With Disney To Deliver Family-Friendly Smartphone Service