Japan has been identified as a possible market where smartphones running on the Mozilla Firefox operating system will appear, despite the fact that smartphones on that mobile operating system would mainly target emerging markets such as South America, and with Japan being an established and mature market, we do wonder what’s up with this rumor. Well, I guess a rumor’s a rumor, so let us leave it as that at the moment.
The closest it has come to being real was word from the president of auKDDI, who spoke at an HTML 5 event, that they will consider rolling out Firefox OS handsets handsets later in 2013, and that is about all the detail divulged, leading us to make educated guesses by ourselves. One ought to take note that Mozilla’s mobile platform will be based wholly on HTML 5. So far, the two companies that we know have manufactured Firefox OS smartphones would be ZTE and TLC, and we could very well see their finished products arrive via KDDI in due time.
- 2014-04-10: Firefox OS 2.0 Begins To Take Shape
- 2014-03-19: Former Firefox Developer Explains Mozilla's Decision To Drop Its Modern UI Project
- 2014-03-19: Firefox Powers Better In-Browser Games At GDC14
- 2014-03-14: Mozilla Kills "Firefox For Metro" Project Citing Low Adoption
- 2014-03-12: Unreal Engine 4 Runs On Firefox