The Samsung Exynos 5 Octa chipset recently stirred up its fair share of excitement in the Twitter-verse, where there were some little bits of information concerning the chipset which was revealed to the masses. Basically, the SamsungExynos Twitter account recently revealed a 3D render of the SoC, instead of an actual photo, while talking up the energy efficiency of the chipset.
Just to recap, the Exynos 5 Octa will fall back on ARM’s big.LITTLE design, sporting a couple of groups of four processor cores, with the larger group consisting of a quartet of speedy Cortex-A15 CPUs, with the LITTLE group carrying also four power-efficient Cortex-A7 cores. A little bit of math shows that we end up with a grand total of eight-cores, leading us to the name ‘Octa’. As one of either group can be active at any one time, the other will go to sleep, in a somewhat similar way as that of NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 chipset. Samsung touts a 3.3x reduction in power usage, and also a cheaper manufacturing price which hopefully, the savings will be reflected in pricing details of devices that use the Exynos 5 Octa chipset.
Next Story: HTC Desire U Hits Taiwan
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test