Nintendo’s Virtual Console has always been a great way to pick up classic games from Nintendo and its partners from the comfort of your Nintendo console and handheld. Sure – you could dig up your old consoles and games to enjoy them in the old-school gaming way, but spending a few bucks for the comfort of having classic games at your fingertips is well worth it.
With the launch of the Wii U, the Virtual Console has been missing, but it will soon be making its triumphant return after a Wii U system update planned this spring.
The Wii U Virtual Console will launch with NES and Super NES games, although not all of the titles already previously available on the Wii should be expected. The reason for this is Virtual Console games are being re-developed for the Wii U so games will have the ability to play directly on the GamePad.
NES games will cost between $5 – $6, while Super NES games will cost between $8 – $9. If you previously purchased a Virtual Console game on your Wii that you’d like to play on your Wii U, you’ll need to pay $1 or $1.50, respectively. We’re not sure why Nintendo just didn’t make them free for Wii U owners since paying to update your library is a little silly to us, although seeing how you can now play Virtual Console games on the Wii U’s GamePad might make the price of admission worth it.
Next Story: Rand McNally Foris 850 Handheld GPS Device
- 2014-04-17: Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-17: Box Art Hints At Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-13: Watch Dogs For Wii U Pegged For Fall 2014
- 2014-04-03: Mario Kart 8 Will Run At 30fps With 3-4 Players
- 2013-11-14: Watch All 30 Minutes Of The Latest Nintendo Direct Right Here
- 2013-11-07: Super Smash Bros. Wii U, 3DS Adds Marth To Its Roster Of Fighters
- 2013-10-30: Nintendo: Wii U Still Having A "Negative Impact" On Our Profits
- 2013-10-25: Nintendo Wii U Basic Set Gets Bundled With Skylanders Swap Force On Nov. 15
- 2013-10-23: Nintendo Wii U Deluxe Set Including New Super Mario Bros. U, Luigi U Starting Nov. 1