Apple took the chance to debut their new AppStore.com URLs at the recently concluded Super Bowl 47, where each of the new short URLs are auto-generated for individual apps located on the App Store. You will not get any better public exposure than Super Bowl 47 of course, and these new URLs made an appearance when an ad for the upcoming Star Trek: Into Darkness movie displayed a link to a companion app at AppStore.com/StarTrekApp.
Apple did alert their developers recently that they have created the service so that it would be a whole lot easier to promote apps with URLs that will not be too taxing on our brains, although these URLs had more or less remained hush hush until they were displayed for all and sundry to take note of at yesterday’s Super Bowl game. As mentioned, the AppStore.com URLs will be generated automatically, and they can also link to individual apps or to a developer’s landing page. These links work by redirecting to whichever country’s App Store a user is linked to, with the option to linking to Mac App Store apps through a slight modification of the URL.
- 2014-04-10: Amazon Appstore Surpasses 200k Apps Milestone
- 2013-02-04: Apple AppStore.com URLs Debuted At Super Bowl 47
- 2013-01-03: US Judge Throws Out "Appstore" False Advertising Claims By Apple
- 2012-12-06: Amazon Appstore Hits 500% More Downloads
- 2012-11-28: Amazon Appstore for Android rolls out in Japan
- 2011-07-07: Apple App Store injunction dismissed by the US court
- 2011-06-22: Apple's request to ban Amazon from using "Appstore" will probably be denied
- 2011-05-14: Microsoft joins App Store trademark fight against Apple
- 2011-03-22: Amazon launches Appstore with Angry Birds Rio and gets sued by Apple
- 2011-01-24: Apple opens AppStore Twitter account