If you are out in the market looking for a high end flagship smartphone for your mobile communication needs (and some gaming on the side too, of course), then you would do well to give this story a miss. After all, who would want an Android 2.3 Gingerbread device in this day and age? The handset in question that we are talking about here is the E Ink Android phone, where it is said to retail for approximately $200 after conversion and is currently on display at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain.
The E Ink Android phone is not ready to fly off retail shelves just yet, as it remains a proof-of-concept device, which is why there is Android 2.3 Gingerbread as the operating system of choice. Since it carries an E Ink display, you can forget about all the bells and whistles of a Full HD smartphone, but one main advantage it has would be a week of battery life. Yes sir, it also looks great in the outdoors under direct sunlight instead of washed out colors, and since there are less bits and pieces underneath the hood, the entire device is extremely lightweight.
- 2013-12-02: E Ink Introduces Fina E-Reader
- 2013-09-05: E Ink And Their Carta Next-Gen Display Technology
- 2013-08-29: Comfort Cast Helps You Update Doctors, Facebook While Your Bones Heal
- 2013-06-27: British Airways Introduces Reusable E-Ink Luggage Tags
- 2013-02-28: E Ink Android Handset Gets 1-Week Battery Life
- 2013-01-31: Concept Keyboard Feature E-Ink Keycaps
- 2012-02-29: Texas Instruments demonstrates ultrasonic stylus
- 2012-02-29: Panasonic Eluga Power announced, possible Optimus Vu and Galaxy Note competitor
- 2012-02-29: [Live Blog] Microsoft at MWC 2012
- 2012-02-28: LG shows off the first voice to video conversion over LTE at MWC 2012