Earlier this month, we heard news of Time Warner and Apple negotiating a plan to add the HBO Go application to the Apple TV. It’s been 11 days since that story was published, and here we are with news of the HBO Go application now being available on Apple TV… kind of.
During AllThingsD‘s media conference that was held today, president and chief operating officer of HBO Eric Kessler announced iOS owners can use their HBO Go application to stream shows onto their television sets by using AirPlay, which is technically a way for Apple TV owners to get the long-awaited app running on their set-top-box.
When asked why HBO just didn’t make its HBO GO application available on the Apple TV, Kesller said the company does plan to make it available on the device, but no timeline was given as to when it would be showing up. Hopefully it will be in time for the third season of Game of Thrones, which is set to air on March 31. If you thought Apple TV owners were annoyed at HBO GO not being available, you should probably steer clear of them around the time Game of Thrones starts airing.
- 2014-04-10: 2014 Apple TV May Rely On Motion Control Technology
- 2014-04-08: New Apple Set-Top Box Hinted In Comcast/Time Warner Cable Filings
- 2014-04-07: Amazon Fire TV Handles Android Mirroring Nicely
- 2014-04-02: Analyst Thinks Amazon's Fire TV Will Motivate Apple To Revamp The Apple TV
- 2014-03-28: Roku CEO Calls The Apple TV A "Money Loser" For Apple
- 2014-01-19: HBO Doesn't Mind HBO GO Password Sharing
- 2013-11-21: HBO GO Now Supports Google Chromecast Across iOS, Android, Web
- 2013-06-19: Apple TV Gains HBO GO, WatchESPN Starting Today
- 2013-03-22: HBO CEO Teases HBO Go-Only Subscription Service
- 2013-02-01: Time Warner, Apple In Negotiations To Add HBO Go To Apple TV This Year