Pop quiz time – which is the best selling smartphone in the world? If you have a fruity company in mind, you’re correct, as Apple’s iPhone 5 has picked up the gong for being the “world’s best selling smartphone”, at least according to Strategy Analytics. Strategy Analytics also claimed that second place is occupied by the iPhone 4S, while an Android-powered device, none other than the Samsung Galaxy S3, comes in third.
Strategy Analytics’ figures pointed out that the iPhone 5 sold 27.4 million units during the last quarter of 2012, and within the same time window, the Samsung Galaxy S3 sold 15.4 million units, which was eclipsed by the 17.4 million of the iPhone 4S. If you were to merge the sales figures of both iPhones, they would make up 20% of all smartphones shipped in Q4 2012. South Korean manufacturer Samsung should not be quaking in their boots though, as it showed that the Galaxy S3 still has plenty of mileage left in its tank, never mind the fact that it has hit the market 9 months prior. Which side of the smartphone divide does your allegiance lie?
- 2014-04-13: Apple Might Consider NFC For Next Generation iPhone
- 2014-04-11: Leaked iPhone Cases Reveal New Button Cut Outs
- 2014-04-10: Analyst: iPhone 6 Sleep/Wake Button Could Be Relocated
- 2014-04-09: Apple's Recent Broadcom Hires Corroborates In-House Baseband Rumors
- 2014-04-09: 4.7-inch And 5.5-inch iPhone Models Could Feature Different Resolutions [Rumor]
- 2013-01-21: Samsung Targets iPhone, BlackBerry In Business-Focused Commercial
- 2013-01-15: iPhone Tops Potential Buyer Report With Samsung Gaining More Interest
- 2011-12-09: Samsung ad continues poking fun at Apple customers
- 2011-10-18: iPhone screenshot spotted in Samsung Galaxy Player promo?
- 2011-09-26: Samsung reportedly charging Apple 2.4% per 3G chip