[MWC 2013] Nokia has just announced the Lumia 720, a 4.3″ Windows Phone 8 device that is targeted at the mid-range market. With this design, Nokia is trying to have a mix of high-end features, but at an affordable price (369 Euros, no contract). For example, the Lumia 720 features a Carl Zeiss f1.9 (large aperture) lens that should do well in low-light conditions. The handset also has the same curved glass display design that was made so popular by the original Nokia Lumia 800 smartphone (the 720 touch display works with gloves too). It also have an optional wireless charging case if you just want to “drop and charge” (great feature for a bedside phone).To balance those features out and reach a lower price, Nokia is including only 8GB of local flash storage and has opted for an effective 6.7 Megapixel main camera. First, there is a microSD option, so the 8GB can cheaply be turned into 16GB (or more!) by the user. Secondly, I don’t care that much about the megapixel count on my phone, so we’ll have to see how the photos look like which is the real test. A Closer look at the hardware configuration also shows a 1GHz Dual-core Snapdragon, 512MB of RAM, a WVGA (800×480) display resolution. Finally, the video capture tops out at 720p 30FPS.
I’m really glad that Nokia didn’t pinch the battery capacity, and there is a 2000mAh battery in the Lumia 720, which is pretty good for a mid-range phone. Like most mid-range smartphones, it is really up to you to decide what you want to prioritize, because as soon as you want a lower price, something has to give. We are not sure how carriers will position the Lumia 720, but it may end up going head to head with the Galaxy S3 (free or cheap, with the carrier subsidy). What do you think? Does this announcement make you think twice? What if I tell you that it comes in Red, Yellow, Blue, Black and glossy White?
Next Story: LG Optimus F5 And Optimus F7 At MWC 2013
- 2014-04-11: Nokia To Provide Chennai Factory Workers With Redundancy Packages
- 2014-04-10: Only PureView And High-End Nokia Handsets To Get Dedicated Camera Button [Rumor]
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-09: Nokia X Custom Android ROM Revealed
- 2014-04-09: Nokia 225 Is Slimmest Affordable Internet Handset
- 2014-02-28: Nokia Lumia 630 Specifications Leaked (Rumor)
- 2014-02-23: Microsoft 'Less Excited' About Nokia's Android Ambitions
- 2014-02-12: Nokia Lumia 930, 630 And 635 Smartphones Rumored
- 2013-02-24: Nokia Lumia 520 should be called Lumia Mini
- 2013-02-15: Mysterious Nokia Lumia Device Spotted In Lumia 920 Ad